Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Scary Halloween Baking for Kids

Fall has officially started and Halloween is around the corner. My kids and I love Halloween and I must have at least 3 storage bins full of spooky decorations, Halloween crafts and decorative Jack O Lanterns. My bins also include muffin tins and cake pans in various pumpkin, scarecrow and ghost shapes. I have promised my kids that we can pull it all out on October 1st.

Kids need some fun activities to lead up to Halloween since the actual trick or treat time goes by so quickly. I have found that Halloween baking is always a great activity resulting in edible art. There are so many wonderful baking products for spooky Halloween themes. I am particularly fond of sparkle gel in black and orange. Chocolate cookie crumbs can be used for dirt or mud on your creations. Thin black licorice can look like snakes or shaped into a spider's web on an orange or white iced cake.

Special food colors are available in bright Halloween orange, purple and green. (Making dark colors is very difficult and tedius with your standard grocery store 4 pack of colors.) Candies can be cut and arranged to look like bugs. With Halloween baking - scary, gooey or gross are your best kid pleasers.

I am posting a cute video on making pumpkin cupcakes that are fun and easy for all ages. More Halloween fun coming soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment